I love Carrot Ginger Soup and this recipe is a new take on that classic recipe. Adding fennel to the soup gives the soup an extra freshness and sweetness that balances out the slightly spicy nature of the ginger -- which makes this soup super kid-friendly. It’s the perfect warming, yet refreshing early Fall soup, I think.
Carrot Ginger Fennel Soup
· 1 small yellow onion, chopped
· 1 fennel bulb, chopped
· 10 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
· 2 tbsp. coconut oil
· 1 inch ginger, peeled and grated
· 1 quart homemade chicken broth + more liquid to achieve desired consistency
· Sea salt and pepper, to taste
Sauté onion, carrots, and fennel in coconut oil until onions are translucent. Add grated ginger and broth. Bring soup to a boil and then lower heat to simmer. Cook until vegetables are fork tender. Transfer into blender and puree in batches. Return soup to pot and add more broth or water if soup is too thick. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with feta and chopped parsley if desired.